Ridesharing, also known as transportation network companies (TNCs) or ride-hailing, has become increasingly popular in recent years. The number of people using ridesharing services varies by location and the time of year, but tens of millions are estimated to be using ridesharing services globally. A survey by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) found that in the United States alone, an estimated 63 million people used TNCs in 2018. About 25 percent of the entire U.S. population uses ride sharing at least once a month. Uber and Lyft make up 99 percent of ridesharing in the U.S.
Uber Accident Lawyer and Lyft Attorney in Austin, TX
An Uber accident that results in personal injury can arise in a variety of ways. Rideshare sexual assaults have been widely reported; and, pedestrians, passengers, and more can be hit or injured by an Uber driver. Applewhite Firm PLLC has attorneys who help all victims of rideshare accidents.
What To Do If You Are Hit by An Uber Driver
If you are driving a car or riding a motorcycle and are hit by an Uber driver or you are walking, biking, or otherwise a pedestrian and hit by a rideshare vehicle, as the injured party, you likely have legal options for obtaining compensation from the liable party. A police report will often show which vehicle was the at fault party; and, even if it doesn’t, a personal injury lawyer can work with an accident reconstructionist to determine and prove who was the negligent party that caused your injuries and other damages.
If you are involved in an accident with an Uber driver, you should take the following steps to protect yourself and your legal rights:
- Get medical attention: If you are injured, seek medical attention immediately. Even if you think your injuries are minor, it’s important to be evaluated by a doctor.
- Gather information: If your injuries permit, get contact and insurance information from the Uber driver, as well as any other passengers in the vehicle and in other vehicles involved. If there are any witnesses to the car accident, get their contact information as well. Take photos and videos of the accident scene, the damage to the vehicles, and your injuries with your cell phone.
- Report the accident: Notify Uber of the accident as soon as possible. Uber has a 24/7 critical safety response line which you can reach by opening the app, tapping on the shield icon and then the critical safety button. Relay facts only, not your opinion.
- Contact an attorney: An Austin Uber accident attorney who is experienced in handling personal injury cases involving rideshare companies can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected.
- Be careful of what you say: Watch what you say to other drivers, any insurance companies, the police, and/or anyone else involved in the case. Do not admit fault or make any statements that could be used against you later.
- Document everything: Keep detailed records of all of your expenses, including medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
It’s important to keep in mind that while Uber and other rideshare services have their own insurance policies that may cover car accidents, these policies have caveats and exclusions, so consulting with an attorney to understand the details of any applicable policies and to determine who is liable is very important to ensuring your legal rights are preserved.
Compensation Available for an Uber Accident
If you are involved in an accident with an Uber driver, you may be entitled to compensation for your damages, including:
- Medical expenses: You may be able to recover the cost of all medical treatment related to the accident, including hospital stays, surgery, medication, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages: If you are unable to work as a result of your injuries, you may be able to recover lost wages.
- Loss of earning capacity: If your injuries prevent you from returning to work or from working as you could before the crash, you may be able to recover damages for loss of earning capacity.
- Pain and suffering: You may be able to recover damages for the physical and emotional pain and suffering you experienced as a result of the Uber accident.
- Property damage: You may be able to recover the cost of repairing or replacing property damaged in the crash.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, if a party’s conduct was grossly negligent, punitive damages may be awarded to punish the at fault party and deter similar future conduct.
It’s important to note that Uber carries a $1 million liability insurance policy that covers its drivers when they are on the app and providing a ride, but this coverage may not apply if the driver was not logged into the app. A motor vehicle accident attorney experienced in handling rideshare claims can explain the details of this and any other applicable insurance policies and determine the best strategy for pursuing compensation.
Austin Uber Accident Lawyers Can Help
People use ridesharing services for a variety of reasons. In fact, 43 percent of all Uber trips in the U.S. are customers going to dinners or parties and 22 percent are going to the airport. Whether you’re riding an Uber or Lyft to work or to your office holiday party or you’re driving or riding in another car near a rideshare vehicle, you deserve to be safe on the road. Applewhite Firm PLLC offers a free consultation to Uber accident victims. We will work hard to secure maximum compensation for you and your loved ones.